Welcome to the Halifax Deanery
The following link is for ordinary time 2019 Weekend Masses in the Halifax Deanery
- Closure of churches, chapels and church halls in the Diocese of Leeds were closed with effect from midnight of 23 March 2020 and must remained closed to public access, without exception, until restrictions are lifted.
- Priests who hold parochial office continue to celebrate Mass in a church within their parish, daily, without the faithful.
- Baptisms, First Confessions, First Holy Communion and Confirmations should also be postponed.
- Weddings should be postponed.
- With great pastoral sensitivity, funeral services must be restricted to the graveside or at a crematorium.
- Bishops’ Conference, emphasises that Catholics in England & Wales are dispensed under Church law from the Sunday obligation to attend a Mass.
- Catholics are also urged to continue to participate in the spiritual life of the Church, particularly through prayer
- “Knowing that the Mass is being celebrated; joining in spiritually in that celebration; watching the live-streaming of the Mass;
following its prayers at home;
making an act of spiritual communion:
this is how we share in the Sacrifice of Christ in these days.
These are the ways in which we will sanctify Sunday, and indeed every day,”
- Please play your part. For your commitment to this, thank you.
Holydays of Obligation.
The Holydays of Obligation for England and Wales are therefore:
Nativity of the Lord (25 December)
Epiphany of the Lord (6 January*)
Ascension of the Lord (Thursday after 6th Sunday of Easter)
St Peter & St Paul (Friday 29 June*)
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (15 August*)
All Saints (1 November*)